The world of plants is very diverse. There are a lot of things about plants that benefit us. After all, we survive off of plants. Those of us who are vegetarians owe their existence to plants. They keep us alive. But, within the plant kingdom are some things that are just harmful to use. Poison Ivy is one … and it can be bad.
A typical case of contact with poison ivy will produce an itchy, oozy, rash that will make you want to scratch your skin off.
It is said that 85% of humans are susceptible to the poison ivy rash. If you are within that percentage stay away from poison ivy. Don’t go near it. Stay clear of it. Certainly, don’t touch it.
Here are some things you can do to rid your yard of poison ivy. The most often used remedy is probably a toxic chemical spray like Round Up or one of the other brand names. These work well but of course you are putting heavy duty chemicals into your soil when you use them. I have. They work well. I used it where I never grow anything. It was a spot up against my garage where the vine had taken hold.
Here are some ideas to get rid of poison ivy that are non toxic and will work … meaning they will kill the poison ivy in your yard. They may take a little more diligence. Maybe more than one or two applications. But you will get rid of that poison ivy and not pollute your yard … the ground water or water supply!
If you have the property you can bring in some goats and graze them. The poison ivy won’t hurt the goats and they will eat it all up in no time. Of course this being a very effective method it just isn’t for everyone. As another gardener recently said, “I’ve never heard of Goat rentals”.
Vinegar comes in different strengths and if possible use the most concentrated that you can get a hold of. Some will say to dilute it 50/50 with water, others say to use it full strength. I’ll go with the full strength but be as careful as possible to get it only on the poison ivy plants and not elsewhere is your garden. It can kill other plants as well. Spray the leaves. Soak them. You could spray some around the base where it will soak in to the roots too. Use the stream setting on your spray bottle so you don’t spray it all over, in a mist, that will blow around in the wind and come in contact with other plants in the area. Really soak those leaves and come back in a few minutes and hit them again. This method may take a few applications but it will work. If you do have an issue with acidity in the soil from the use of vinegar you can add some lime to the soil afterwards.
A typical spray bottle is about one quart, give or take some. To mix up enough for one spray bottle fill it half way with water and then add about a 1/2 pound of salt. The salt containers I purchase at my local grocer are just over 1.5 pounds. So use about half of one of those … it should just about fill that bottle. Mix it all up completely, this may take some doing. Starting with hot, or warm, water should help. Once it is completely mixed add a tablespoon to 2 tablespoons of typical dish washing liquid. This is really only used to break the consistence of the water so it will more easily adhere to the leaves of the plant.
Now soak those leaves. Go back a little while later and soak them again. Repeat daily until you see the plant is dying.
Salt and Vinegar
I’ve also seen it said to use the same two recipes above together. Start off with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, add salt at a rate of about 3 pounds per gallon of the 50/50 mix. Mix it completely and then add a couple tablespoons of dish soap and mix it up well.
Use the same procedure as above to soak the leaves.
This one was new to me when I read it but shows that there are a lot of things in life that don’t get along well with other things. Here is one such example that comes from thinking out of the box.
The recipe is saw called for 1 oz. of gin, 1 oz. of apple cider vinegar, 1 quart of water and 1 tablespoon of dish washing soap. The author of this recipe claimed it would kill the poison within one day. I’m not quite to optimistic because I am well aware of the fortitude of this plant. Use the same procedure to spray the leaves as the above recipes.
This works great on those clumps of grass growing in the cracks of your driveway and sidewalk too! Simply boil up some water in your favorite tea kettle. Slowly pour the boiling water over the plants, basically at the roots of the poison ivy. This may take a few days of repeating but it will work. Be super careful that you don’t splash any water back onto yourself. If you do, you’ll probably get poison ivy … that is probably a reason why not to use this method.
Don’t expect a layer of wood chips to kill this plant but if you have found it early in it’s life cycle, and it has not yet begun to grow up a tree or building, cover it with a thick layer of newspaper, cardboard, wood or anything else that will block water and light from reaching the roots of the plant. Cover it and leave it till next summer and you will be rid of the poison ivy (and anything else that you covered).
Personally I do not recommend this. Any time you come in contact with poison ivy you risk the possibility of getting it. If you must though, grab it as close to the roots as possible and pull it out. You probably won’t get all the roots and it will grow back. Dig down a foot if you can to get as much of the root as possible. Any piece left behind will grow back into a new an healthy plant.
Be sure to wear protective clothing, gloves, face mask, goggles etc, and you’ll either want to wash these things right away afterward, or throw them out. Remember that any of the poison from poison ivy that gets on your clothes will still give you the poison ivy rash if you come in contact with it.